What is the Goji Berry plant?
The scientific name of the Goji Berry plant is the Lycium barbarum, which belongs to the family Solanaceae. The common names of the Goji Berry plant are wolfberry, common Lycium, Kuko, Litchi, etc. This plant is native to China, Russia, Turkey, and Japan. This plant is hardiness in zones 4-8.
Goji Berry plants are grown in zones 3 – 10. The plant grows on shrubs ranging from 10 -13 feet tall and spread about 4 feet. They have purple flowers with thorns and clusters of grey-green leaves. Its foliage is evergreen, and the flower blooms 6 to 7 times a year. They have bright orange-red colored, oval-shaped fruit, which is sour. Goji Berry plant is rich in nutrients such as Vitamin B, Vitamin C, amino acids, protein, Vitamin E, and flavonoids.
Scientific classification of a Goji Berry plant
Species: L. barbarum
How to grow a Goji Berry plant?
Goji Berry plant is easy to grow. You can start to grow the Goji Berry plant from seeds or bare rootstock. You can grow the Goji Berry plant at home in a container or the ground. You can buy the plant from the local nursery as well.
If you are thinking of growing the Goji Berry plant through seeds, then use fresh seeds. Start the seeds indoors and plant them outdoor when it is a year old.
How to grow a Goji Berry plant from bare rootstock?
Steps to plant bare-root Goji Berry are:-
- Soak the bare root of the plant in water for about 30 minutes.
- Take a container and fill it up with potting soil.
- Place the bare root at the center of your pot.
- Fill soil up to the crown of the bare root.
- Add additional soil to settle it down.
- Place the container in the area with full sun.
- Water the plant about an inch or two every week.
- Keep the plant moist.
You can also transplant your Goji Berry plant in the ground. Firstly, select a spot with full sun and moist soil. Plant them in a distance of 2 feet apart, and water it.
How to care for a Goji Berry plant?
- The soil should be moist, fertile, and well-drained with a pH value from 6.8 to 8.
- It thrives full sun, but it can tolerate some shade also.
- Water the plant regularly.
- Avoid using peat moss or any fertilizer to the plant.
- Goji Berry plant naturally creep and sprawl, so you can use stalk to save more space.
- Remove the branches that grow out of the trunk of the Goji Berry plant.
Uses of a Goji Berry
- This fruit can be eaten raw or cooked.
- It is used in juice, wines, herbal teas, and medicines.
- It also reduces hypertension.
- Some research shows that drinking Goji Berry juice for a month helps to improve various quality of life measures.
- Goji Berry plant is used for the treatment of high blood pressure, diabetes, fever.
- It helps to increase blood cell production and regulates blood pressure.
- It effectively manages your body weight and better digestion.
- It protects the skin and eye health.
- This plant has anti-oxidant properties and anti-aging capabilities.
The side effect of a Goji Berry plant
Goji Berry plant can cause liver damage, allergic reactions, and increase sensitivity to the sunlight. If you consume it in a high amount, it might lower down your blood sugar level.
Where Can I buy Goji Berry Plants?
You can find Goji Berry plants for sale in Amazon. You can also buy from your nearest Plant nursery.